JBL's Privacy Notice for California Residents
Effective Date: August 24, 2020
We adopt this Notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and other California laws concerning privacy. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this Notice.
California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA")
Information We Collect
Our websites and products collect information that identifies, relates to, references, is capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular person or device ("personal information"). In particular our Websites or products have collected the following categories of personal information from our Customers within the last twelve (12) months:
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)||Yes|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or Federal law||No|
|D. Commercial information||Yes|
|E. Biometric information||No|
|F. Internet or similar network activity||Yes|
|G. Geolocation data||No|
|H. Sensory data||No|
|I. Professional or employment-related information||Yes|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 CFR Part 99))||Yes|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information||No|
Personal Information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA's scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
JBL obtains the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our websites or when using our products or services.
- From third-party business partners such as social media sites, ad networks and analytic providers.
Use of Personal Information
JBL may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To provide, support, personalize and develop our Websites, products and services.
- To create, maintain, customize and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To conduct data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of our services.
- To conduct audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements.
- To personalize your Website and product experiences and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Websites, third-party sites and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law).
- To help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our Websites, products and services, databases and other technology assets and business.
- For testing, research, analysis and product development, including to develop and improve our Websites, products and services.
- For operating and expanding our business activities, for example, understanding which parts of our services are of most interest to our Customers so we can focus our energies on meeting our Customers' interests.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some of all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Customers is among the assets transferred.
JBL will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
JBL may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose other than performing the contract.
We share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Contractors and service providers.
- Data aggregators.
- Third parties with whom we partner to offer products and services to you.
- Your training program, employer or other institution with which you are affiliated and through which you engage with our products and services.
- Regulatory or oversight bodies with which you are or previously were, affiliated for licensing, certification or registration purposes.
- Subsidiaries and affiliates that supply support services to our company.
JBL engages certain trusted third party service providers to process personal information on our behalf. These may include the provision of customer support, web hosting providers, customer data management and list enhancement companies, agencies that run our prize promotions, companies that fill product orders or coordinate mailings, delivery companies, payment processors, data analysis firms and email service providers. We may also make certain information available to such third parties for various purposes, including for business or marketing purposes or to assist us and our service providers in understanding our Customers' interest, habits and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions and functionality available through our products and services.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose to the parties identified above:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
- Category I: Professional or employment-related information
- Category J: Non-public educational information
JBL discloses the above categories of personal information to the types of third parties listed above.
Sales of Personal Information
JBL does not sell, rent or lease personal information. Accordingly, in the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold personal information.
Although it is not our practice to sell or rent personal information, we may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our assets, including personal information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, sale of assets or similar transaction or in the event of insolvency or bankruptcy.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that JBL discloses certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past twelve (12) months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see "Exercising Access, Data Portability and Deletion Rights"), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that JBL deletes any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see "Exercising Access, Data Portability and Deletion Rights"), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
JBL may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation or regulatory requirements.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by contacting us at:
- Emailing us at [email protected] or, Calling us at 1-978-443-5000
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate and respond to it.
JBL cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response, Timing and Format
JBL endeavors to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
JBL does not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
JBL will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information's value and contain written terms that describe the program's material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
OTHER CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Websites that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To obtain this information, please email us at [email protected] with "Request for California Privacy Information" in the subject line of your message. Please include sufficient information so that we can process your request, including name, mailing address and email address if you want to receive a response by email. We reserve the right to confirm your identity before processing any requests.
If you are a California resident under age 18 and are a registered user of any of our Services, then you may request that we remove any content or information that you posted on our websites, online services, online applications or mobile applications ("User Content"). To request removal of your User Content, please send a detailed description of the specific User Content you want us to remove to the email or regular mail address set forth above. We reserve the right to request that you provide information that will enable us to confirm that the User Content that you want removed was posted by you.
JBL will make a good faith effort to delete or remove your User Content from public view as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note, however, that your request that we delete your User Content does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of your User Content. Your User Content may remain on backup media, cached or otherwise retained by us for administrative or legal purposes or your User Content may remain publicly available if you or someone else has forwarded or re-posted your User Content on another website, online service, online application or mobile application prior to its deletion. We may also be required by law to not remove (or allow removal) of your User Content.